Name:

Montana State University-Bozeman English Teaching Minor, History Teaching Major, I plan to student teach Spring '08

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Death and Taxes




I explored the mythical figure of Cassandra for my final

Daisy Miller pg. 15 Winterbourne's aunt gives him, and us, the outcome of the story

Citizen Kane does not have a Cassandra, but the audience is given a prophetic outcome when Kane drops and shatters the snowglobe as he utters "Rosebud". Even though Rosebud drives the story it does not define the story.

Wiseblood-I failed to find a figure, or a prophetic vision or moment, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is there, but I am missing something obvious.

Invisible Man is the most obvious place that Cassandra appears in the vet. He accurately diagnoses Mr. Norton, he tells Norton that IM is the Invisible Man, and on the bus he gives the future of Invisible Man. He talks about padded cells and warns him to play the game, but not to believe in it.

Bear-At the age of 13 Ike kills a deer and has it's blood put on his face (keep this in mind for later), the little fyce (rat terrier) is the only dog able to corner Ol' Ben but Ike won't kill the Ol' Ben, nor will Sam Fathers. They have a prophetic moment when they realize "someone will, someday" They want the hunt to last to the end, but Boone kills the bear. Everyone is sad and forced to move on in life.

Stevens-My poem (I did this to see if I could make it work on mine) The Motive for Metaphor it is important to shrink away from the "vital, arrogant, fatal, dominant X" and yet X is vital to the story. 13 Ways to See A Blackbird, I thought that if you could see a man and a woman and a blackbird as one, then the man and the woman can learn from the blackbird. Blackbirds live their life until the moment they die.

Cassandra was given the gift of accurately foretelling the future but has it twisted to where no one will believe her. They find her crazy. On the surface this seems to say that there is no free will. However, I believe that Cassandra gives King Priam more information that he chooses to ignore, in effect he is given true free will.

a little disclaimer: Choosing how to present Cassandra was a small challenge because I am not a woman, I am definitely not pretty, so I had to attempt crazy

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about Hun?
hydrocodone side effects

9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home